A herniated disc can cause significant pain and discomfort, and can limit mobility and overall quality of life. There are a variety of treatments available for herniated discs, including physical therapy, medication, and surgery. However, a non-invasive and effective alternative treatment option is spinal decompression therapy.
Common Causes of a Herniated Disc
- Age-related wear and tear: As people age, the discs in their spine can begin to lose water content, making them less flexible and more prone to injury. This can make them more susceptible to herniation.
- Repetitive motion: Repetitive motions, such as those involved in lifting heavy objects or playing certain sports, can put strain on the discs and lead to herniation.
- Trauma: Trauma, such as a fall or car accident, can cause a herniated disc.
- Poor posture: Poor posture can put extra strain on the discs in the spine, which can increase the risk of herniation.
- Genetics: Some people may be more prone to herniated discs due to genetic factors.
- Obesity: Being overweight can put extra pressure on the discs in the spine, which can increase the risk of herniation.
- Smoking: Smoking can reduce the amount of oxygen that reaches the discs in the spine, which can make them more susceptible to injury and herniation.
What is Spinal Decompression Therapy?
Spinal decompression therapy is a non-invasive procedure that uses mechanical traction to stretch and decompress the spine. The goal of spinal decompression therapy is to reduce pressure on the discs and nerves in the spine, which can alleviate pain and improve mobility. The treatment is typically administered by a chiropractor or other licensed healthcare professional.
How does it work?
During spinal decompression therapy, the patient lies on a special table that can be adjusted to provide traction on the spine. The table is programmed to apply a controlled amount of force to the spine, which creates a negative pressure inside the discs. This negative pressure can help to draw herniated or bulging discs back into place, relieving pressure on the nerves and reducing pain.
What are the benefits?
Spinal decompression therapy offers a number of benefits for those suffering from herniated discs.
Some of the benefits of spinal decompression therapy include:
- Non-invasive: Spinal decompression therapy is a non-invasive procedure that does not require surgery or medication.
- Low risk: Spinal decompression therapy is a low-risk procedure with few side effects. Unlike surgery or medication, there is little risk of allergic reaction or infection.
- Effective: Spinal decompression therapy has been shown to be an effective treatment for herniated discs, with many patients experiencing significant pain relief and improved mobility.
- Fast recovery time: Spinal decompression therapy is a non-invasive procedure with a fast recovery time. Patients can usually resume normal activities within a few days after the procedure.
- Long-lasting results: Spinal decompression therapy can provide long-lasting relief from herniated disc pain, with many patients experiencing relief for several months or more after the procedure.
Is Spinal Decompression Therapy Right For You?
Spinal decompression therapy may be a good option for those suffering from herniated disc pain who have not found relief from other treatments. However, it is important to consult with a medical professional to determine if spinal decompression therapy is right for you.
If you or a loved one are suffering from a herniated disc in San Antonio call us today at (210) 341-5591 to schedule a free consultation.